What are we doing?
- Reduce – providing car pools, reducing paper usage, proper disposal of batteries, printers, copiers, and computers
- Reuse – email church bulletins and newsletters
- Recycle – both standard Blacksburg items and specialty larger items at a different facility
- Use environmentally friendly products – chlorine free paper, envelopes, safe cleaning products
- Energy efficient – lights, thermostat timers, HVAC
- Grounds – no herbicides, pesticides, mulch, bike rack
- Other – We use an environmentally friendly approach to coffee hour, receptions, congregational meals, communion and food use. We use fair trade coffee, tea, and chocolate. We share leftover food, and contribute donations to the inter-faith food bank. We plant trees on the grounds and are planning a memorial garden for a portion of the grounds with the capability to bury ashes instead of the more environmentally impactful embalming/caskets of the past. We worked with the NRV Glean Team to grow over 2,000 pounds of squash on 0.3 acres to help provide fresh food to food-insecure people of the New River Valley. Northside provides a good model of Earth Care friendly actions, please do what you can at home.